Transferring to Another School District

  • Students who live within the Cambrian School District Boundaries have the opportunity to request to attend a school in another school district of your choice. Fill out a Request for Interdistrict Attendance Transfer Permit form and drop it off at the Cambrian School District Office for verification and approval. The request must be approved by Cambrian School District prior to turning in the form to your district of choice. Approval by both districts is required. 

    Interdistrict Guidelines and Appeals

    Interdistrict transfer students must reapply on a yearly basis during the open enrollment period (January to March 1) to attend the following year. Requests which have been granted will be in force for one school year and will remain in force only if the student meets the attendance, behavior, and academic requirements of the district requested.

    The superintendent or designee may approve interdistrict agreements for the following reasons:

    • When the student has been determined by the staff of either the district of residence or district of proposed attendance to be a victim of an act of bullying as defined in Education Code 48900(r). Such a student shall be given priority for interdistrict attendance under any existing interdistrict attendance agreement or, in the absence of an agreement, shall be given consideration for the creation of a new permit. (Education Code 46600)
    • To meet the childcare needs of the student for as long as he/she continues to use a childcare provider within district boundaries.
    • To meet the student's special mental or physical health needs, as certified by a physician, school psychologist, or other appropriate school personnel.
    • When the student has a sibling attending school in the receiving district, to avoid splitting the family's attendance.
    • To allow the student to complete a school year when his/her parents/guardians have moved out of the district during that year.
    • To allow the student to remain with a class graduating that year from an elementary or middle school.
    • When the parent/guardian provides written evidence (e.g. copy of lease; completed escrow papers) that the family will be moving into the district in the immediate future and would like the student to start the year in the district.
    • When there is a valid interest in a particular educational program not offered in the district of residence.
    • A child of an active military duty parent/guardian shall not be prohibited from transferring out of the district to a school district of choice if the other school district approves the application for transfer. (Education Code 48301)

    The superintendent or designee may deny or revoke an interdistrict agreement for the following reasons:

    • Excessive truancy
    • Continual disruption to the educational program
    • Failure to progress towards meeting district standards
    • Overcrowding within district schools
    • Limited district resources
    • Capacity consideration of a program, class, grade level, or school building
    • Other considerations that are not arbitrary 


    • The parent/guardian will be responsible for the student’s transportation to and from school. Cambrian School District does not offer transportation.

    Timelines: The district must respond to requests according to the following timelines:

    • Future school year: a request received from January through August 1st (no later than 14 calendar days after the first day of instruction in the school year for which the transfer is sought) 
    • Current school year: a request received 15 days prior to the 1st day of school in the school year for which the transfer is sought (30 calendar days from receipt of the request)

    Parents/Guardians Right to Appeal a denied Interdistrict Transfer: All appeals must be made in writing by the person who has legal custody of the student and follow the steps listed below.

    Step 1:  Cambrian School District Enrollment Department

    • Provide a written notice for reconsideration of the Interdistrict transfer to the Cambrian School District Enrollment Department. The Enrollment Department has thirty (30) days from receipt of the appeal to determine whether the transfer shall be permitted or denied

    Step 2:  Local Board of Trustees

    • If the request is denied again or the enrollment department neglects to act on it within thirty (30) days after the request for reconsideration has been made, the person may appeal to the Cambrian School Board of Trustees by providing a written notice for reconsideration of the Interdistrict transfer.

    Step 3:  County Board of Education

    • If either or both districts deny the request or fail to respond to the request within the timelines noted above, the parents/guardians have the right to file an appeal with the County Board of Education. The written appeal must be filed within 30 calendar days of the district’s failure or refusal to issue a permit or to enter into an agreement allowing the interdistrict transfer. Failure to appeal within the required time is a good cause for denial of an appeal. (Education Code 46601) Appeals can be filed at:

    Santa Clara County Office of Education: 100 Ridder Park Drive • San Jose, CA  95131-2398 • Phone (408) 453-6509


    Note: Cambrian School District places as many new Charter students and Interdistrict transfers as space allows. If there are more students requesting Charter and Interdistrict transfers than space available, a priority list and a lottery system will determine the order in which students will be admitted. Parents or Guardians requesting Charter and Interdistrict transfers should enroll their students in their neighborhood school in the event the number of applications exceeds Cambrian School District’s capacity. Please contact your district of residence for enrollment instructions.
    Enrollment Questions?
    Contact: Carlena Grandey
Last Modified on June 16, 2021