Charter and Interdistrict Transfers

  • Students who live outside the Cambrian School District boundaries have the opportunity to request attendance at a school within the Cambrian School District. There are two processes to enter the district depending on which school you would like to attend. 
    • Bagby Elementary and Steindorf STEAM schools require an Interdistrict Attendance Permit Form. You can obtain an Interdistrict Attendance Permit Form from your district of residence. Approval by your home district is required prior to registering for the Cambrian School District and approval by both districts is required to attend school in the Cambrian School District. If there are more students requesting a school or grade than space available, a priority list and a lottery system will determine the order in which students will be admitted. Cambrian School District Board Policy & Procedure 5116.1 

    • Fammtre, Farnham, Sartorette Elementary, and Price Middle Schools are charter schools that do not require an additional form nor approval by your District of Residence. Incoming out-of-district students will select your school of choice during registration. If there are more students requesting a school or grade than space available, a priority list and a lottery system will determine the order in which students will be admitted. Cambrian School District Board Policy & Procedure 5116.1 

    Cambrian School District places as many Charter students and Interdistrict transfers as space allows and encourages registering with your home school district or any other school/district you choose.

    NOTE: Cambrian is a Transitional Kindergarten through the 8th-grade school district. Cambrian Charter or Interdistrict status does NOT guarantee enrollment into the Campbell Union High School District. Your student will need to enroll in your high school of residence or request an Interdistrict Transfer permit into the Campbell Union High School District. Contact your high school of residence for more information.

    Interdistrict Guidelines and Appeals

    Continuing Interdistrict transfer students must reapply on a yearly basis during the open enrollment period (January to March 1) to attend the following year. Requests which have been granted will be in force for one school year and will remain in force only if the student meets the attendance, behavior, and scholastic requirements of the district requested.

    The superintendent or designee may approve interdistrict agreements for the following reasons:

    • When the student has been determined by the staff of either the district of residence or district of proposed attendance to be a victim of an act of bullying as defined in Education Code 48900(r). Such a student shall be given priority for interdistrict attendance under any existing interdistrict attendance agreement or, in the absence of an agreement, shall be given consideration for the creation of a new permit. (Education Code 46600)
    • To meet the child care needs of the student for as long as he/she continues to use a child care provider within district boundaries.
    • To meet the student's special mental or physical health needs, as certified by a physician, school psychologist, or other appropriate school personnel.
    • When the student has a sibling attending school in the receiving district, to avoid splitting the family's attendance.
    • To allow the student to complete a school year when his/her parents/guardians have moved out of the district during that year.
    • To allow the student to remain with a class graduating that year from an elementary or middle school.
    • When the parent/guardian provides written evidence (e.g. copy of lease; completed escrow papers) that the family will be moving into the district in the immediate future and would like the student to start the year in the district.
    • When there is a valid interest in a particular educational program not offered in the district of residence.
    • A child of an active military duty parent/guardian shall not be prohibited from transferring out of the district to a school district of choice if the other school district approves the application for transfer. (Education Code 48301)


    The superintendent or designee may deny or revoke an interdistrict agreement for the following reasons:

    • Excessive truancy
    • Continual disruption to the educational program
    • Failure to progress towards meeting district standards
    • Overcrowding within district schools
    • Limited district resources
    • Capacity consideration of a program, class, grade level, or school building
    • Other considerations that are not arbitrary



    • The parent/guardian will be responsible for the student’s transportation to and from school. Cambrian School District does not offer transportation.

    Timelines: The district must respond to requests according to the following timelines:

    • Current school year (30 calendar days from receipt of the request), and
    • Subsequent school year (no later than 14 calendar days after the start of instruction in the school year for which the transfer is sought)

    Parents/Guardians right to appeal a denied Interdistrict Transfer:

    Step 1:  Cambrian School District Enrollment Department

    • Written notice for reconsideration of interdistrict transfer to the Cambrian School District Enrollment Department

    Step 2:  Local Board of Trustees

    • If the request is denied again or the enrollment department neglects to act on it within thirty (30) days after the person having custody of the pupil has made the request for reconsideration, the person may appeal to the Cambrian School Board of Trustees.

    Step 3:  County Board of Education

    • If either or both districts deny the request or fail to approve the request within the timelines noted above, the parents/guardians have the right to file an appeal with the County Board of Education within 30 calendar days. The appeal must be filed in writing, by a person having legal custody of the student, within 30 calendar days of the district’s failure or refusal to issue a permit or to enter into an agreement allowing the interdistrict transfer. Failure to appeal within the required time is good cause for denial of an appeal. (Education Code 46601)  at the Santa Clara County Office of Education, 100 Ridder Park Drive, San Jose, CA  95131-2398, phone (408) 453-6509.


    Note: Cambrian School District places as many new Charter students and Interdistrict transfers as space allows. If there are more students requesting Charter and Interdistrict transfers than space available, a priority list and a lottery system will determine the order in which students will be admitted. Parents or Guardians requesting Charter and Interdistrict transfers should enroll their students in their neighborhood school in the event the number of applications exceeds Cambrian School District’s capacity. Please contact your district of residence for enrollment instructions.
    Enrollment Questions?
    Contact: Carlena Grandey
Last Modified on Friday at 11:42 AM