Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund (ESSER)
ESSER I, ESSER II, ESSER III
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the United States Department of Education has released three grants for which local education agencies can apply. These grants, known as ESSER I, ESSER II, and ESSER III, were authorized by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act); the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSA); and the American Rescue Plan (ARP).
- Coordinate emergency funding
- Purchase cleaning supplies
- Educational technology
- Mental health supports
- Supplementary learning
- Added needs for at-risk population
- Coordinated services for long term closures
- Professional development
- McKinney Vento Expenses
- Parent education
- Learning loss (Required for ESSER III)
- Improving air quality
- Improving facilities
- Implementing public health acts
- Other grant allowable expenses (PPE)
ARP: ESSER III
In March 2021, the American Rescue Plan (ARP) was signed into law. ARP dedicated $122 billion to the Elementary and Secondary School Education Relief (ESSER) Fund. This grant is known as ESSER III. The intent and purpose of ESSER III are to help safely reopen and sustain the safe operation of schools and address the impact of the coronavirus on students.
CSD’s ESSER III allocation is $649,694. These one-time or short-term funds are supplemental to CSD's budget and will be used to address the impact COVID-19 has had and continues to have, on schools. CSD’s plan for ESSER III funds may include allocations to support families who are in need of an independent study virtual program option, interventions, SEL support, technology, parent engagement, COVID-19 related safety measures, and professional development.
CSD will utilize ESSER III funds to address issues that have arisen due to the COVID-19 pandemic. CSD is required by statute to set aside 20 percent of its total ESSER III allocation ($129,939) to address learning recovery. ESSER III funds can be used to cover expenses incurred from March 13, 2020, through September 30, 2024.
Feedback Opportunities for ESSER III
- Board of Education Meeting Update on ESSER Funds - August 5, 2021 - CLICK HERE
- CSD ESSER III Stakeholder Survey - September 3, 2021 - September 24, 2021
- District LCAP Advisory Committee - October 14, 2021
- District English Learner Advisory Committee - October 15, 2021
- Final Approval at Board of Education Meeting - October 21, 2021