7 - 3: Aero Engineering - Rockets, Planes and Helicopters
History of Flight and the Wright Brothers
The Wright Brothers achieved the first powered, sustained, and controlled flight of an airplane.
- How we're the brothers similar and different?
- What toy captured their interest in flight?
- What business did they have before they started building flying machines?
- What was Otto Lilienthal known for and how did he die?
- In 1899 what system to Wilbur invent?
- Before building a powered airplane what did the brothers experiment with? Describe their successes and failures.
- What did they invent to experiment with different wing designs?
- Describe the process of finding an engine to power their airplane.
- Describe the very first powered flight on December 17,1903. What happened the rest of that day?
- Describe the "Flyer II". Where did the test fly it and what was needed?
- What was the major accomplishment of the Flyer II?
- Describe the major accomplishments of the Flier III, Model A and Model EX
- What's the Vin Fiz and Flyer and what did it become known for?
The Wright Brothers mastered lift, power and control. These are all critical to powered flight. We'll learn more about these elements below.
Take notes as Mr. Schertle plays short videos on the following topics:
- Newton's Laws of Motion
- The Four Forces of Flight
- Center of Gravity