In the garden, opportunities for learning are limitless.
Steindorf’s Living Lab Garden extends classroom learning outdoors and into the garden where students:
- experience hands-on learning
- experiment & make observations
- get excited about eating vegetables
- spend time outside
- make a connection to our natural world
The Living Lab Garden features an edible garden planted and harvested by the students, maintained and coordinated with the help of parent volunteers. Students currently garden in an enclosed garden space in eight raised beds, as well as two additional raised beds located in the Kindergarten playground.
GET INVOLVED - No garden experience necessary! Want your student to spend more time in the garden? Here’s how you can help :
1. Join the GARDEN COMMITTEE
Bring your ideas and enthusiasm and together we can grow the Living Lab Garden program! Committee members work with the principal and teachers to plan, coordinate and conduct lessons in the garden. Meets approximately 1x a month on Thursday after drop-off. Help also needed on planting and harvest days, for general garden maintenance, special projects, and other activities as interested.
2. Become a CLASSROOM GARDEN PARENT
Volunteers coordinate with Garden Committee and teacher to schedule and organize planting, harvesting and other garden visits with students; 5-6x per year, 1 hour per session during school hours. At least two volunteers are needed for each classroom. Classroom garden parents have full support of Garden Committee who provide plants, lesson instructions, and all other help as requested.
3. Be a FRIEND OF THE GARDEN
Want to pitch in but aren’t available during the school day? Handy at building things or love flexing your muscles? Weekend help is needed at work parties to make big things happen in the garden. Help needed 2-3x a year on a per project basis.
- Lunchtime Tastings: Students have the opportunity to taste something new at lunchtime tastings of uncommon fruits and vegetables. Previous tastings have included: persimmons.
- Garden Crafts: Seasonal craft activities inspired by the garden are offered at lunchtime, participation is optional. Previous crafts have included: herb wreath.
- After School Open Garden: Coming Soon!
- Recess Open Garden: Coming Soon!
FIND OUT MORE
Keep up to date with Steindorf’s Living Lab Garden in the weekly school newsletter, on the Steindorf HSC Facebook page, on the bulletin board located across from the amphitheatre, or by reaching out to your Classroom Garden Parents - your teacher can tell you who they are! All are welcome at any Garden Committee meeting, held on the first Thursday of each month at 8:30am in the garden.
Funding for Steindorf’s Living Lab Garden is provided by the Home & School Club and made possible by your generous support and donations. THANK YOU!
Special thanks to the following:
- Friends of the Garden volunteers and families who helped build the chicken run in September 2017!
- Renee’s Garden Seeds for donating over $300 worth of seeds in August 2017!
For more information about the Living Lab Garden or to find out how you can get involved please contact Garden Coordinator, Laura Wilson, at email@example.com.Click here to watch our Steindorf chicks explore their New Home!