District English Learner Advisory Committee
An explanation of a district-level English Learner Advisory Committee's role, purpose, and requirements.
Each California public school district, grades kindergarten through 12, with 51 or more English learners must form a District-level English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC) or subcommittee of an existing district-wide advisory committee.
ResponsibilitiesThe DELAC, or subcommittee on English learner education, shall advise the district's local governing board (e.g., in person, by letters/reports, or through an administrator) on programs and services for English learners.
- The DELAC shall be responsible for advising the district's local governing board on the following tasks:
- Development or revision of a district master plan of education programs and services for English learners, taking into consideration the Single School Plan for Student Achievement.
- Conducting a district-wide needs assessment on a school-by-school basis.
- Establishment of district programs, goals, and objectives for programs and services for English learners (e.g., parental exception waivers and funding).
- Development of a plan to ensure compliance with any applicable teacher and instructional aide requirements.
- Administration of the annual language census (e.g., procedures and forms).
- Review and comment on the district's reclassification procedures.
- Review and comment on the written notifications required to be sent to parents and guardians.
District English Learner Advisory Committee 2019-20 Meetings:
- November 19, 2019
- January 24, 2020
- February 25, 2020
- April 28, 2020
Meetings are from 9:00 - 10:30 a.m. and are located at the CSD District Office Professional Development Center at 4115 Jacksol Drive, San Jose Ca 95124. For more information about the District English Learner Advisory Committee and parent involvement, please refer to the following contacts:
- Linh Nguyen, Assistant Superintendent of Educational Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 408-558-4916
- Susan Ahmann, Administrative Assistant at email@example.com or 408-377-2013 ext. 1108
District English Learner Advisory Committee from 2018-19